Re: RARA-AVIS: Noir Manifesto

From: Ivan Van Laningham ( ivanlan@pauahtun.org)
Date: 31 Oct 2005

Hi All--

Michael Robison wrote:

> Why do you assume that Jennings uses the term in the
> book? It's not science fiction. More in the realm of
> historical fiction.

The Publisher's Weekly review cited on amazon says "Thorn, the hermaphrodite hero/heroine, is seduced first by a monk and then by a nun." I presume, possibly incorrectly, that PW wouldn't use a word to describe the protagonist that Jennings didn't use. The same goes for your usage of the term, especially after I had stated (in the post to which you were replying) that "intersexed" was the preferred term.

You're right, it's not science fiction; speculative fabulation, maybe. The sexual characteristics of the protagonist are based on grade-school innuendo, stereotypes and myth, not in medical fact. I don't know how historical the historicity of the book is; it's one I won't read. I love Val McDermid, for example, but I don't read her serial killer books because I don't need or want to get into the mind of a deranged psychopath. However, my suspicion is that the intersexed were probably killed out of hand by the Ostrogoths, rather than raised
"androgynously."

> And what does potboiler mean?

From dictionary.com:

"Potboiler, n: A literary or artistic work of poor quality, produced quickly for profit."

> Isn't that some kind of a slight?

Yes.

Metta, Ivan
---------------------------------------------- Ivan Van Laningham God N Locomotive Works http://www.andi-holmes.com/ http://www.foretec.com/python/workshops/1998-11/proceedings.html Army Signal Corps: Cu Chi, Class of '70 Author: Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours