Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Noir Manifesto

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 30 Oct 2005

Clendon wrote:

I don't know that it matters. I mean noir has at base that we are all screwed. So USA, or North Korea, it doesn't matter. Unless an aspect of noir is that some of us are more screwed then others. (I could see this since it contributes to the sense of injustice.)

*********** I buy into your second suggestion that some are a lot more screwed than others. In biblical terms, it's not expulsion from the garden (although that does reflect a primary noir theme). It's the mark of Cain. It's not necessarily injustice, though. Let's face it. A lot of noir characters get just what they deserve. They tried to circumvent the rules and they got their asses burned. I see it as a profound misreading of noir to interpret it primarily as social criticism.

miker

__________________________________ Start your day with Yahoo! - Make it your home page! http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs