Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Noir Manifesto

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 30 Oct 2005

miker wrote:

"Didn't mean to be so abrupt in the earlier response."

We've all hit send too soon.

"And yes, I agree with you. It appears to me that in all the noirs I can recall, there must be the possibility of the protagonist's success, however remote."

At least the protagonist's got to believe there's a possibility, even if everyone else recognizes the true odds against that hoped for, dreamed for, prayed for success.

"Also, the protagonist must be at least partially responsible for his predicament, so there's got to be enough freedom for him to screw himself."

And even on those few occasions when it's fate that starts the ball rolling towards him or her, the protagonist's choices only make things worse.

Mark