Re: RARA-AVIS: Recent reads

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 29 Oct 2005

Chris M wrote:

On deck: Temperance Town by John Williams; Little Girl Lost by Richard Aleas; I Spit on Your Grave by Boris Vian (forward by Sallis!); Lady Yesterday by Esltemen; and After You with the Pistol by Kyril Bonfiglioli
(anyone read these?).

*********** I snipped most of your comments but I enjoyed reading them. I think THE GLASS HIGHWAY is the Estelman that I've read, too, but I'm not sure. Estelman has done well with the Chandler tradition. Bluesy, lonely, and sad. Peter Corris comes to mind in a similar vein.

Lankford's SHOOTERS is wonderful. The suspension of disbelief concerning the character's ability to pen such a memoir is something I live with easily.

Of the ones you ask about, I've only read Vian's I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE. Like Hallas's I PLAY THE BLACK AND THE RED COMES UP, it's been suggested that Vian wrote this as a parody. If true, it's ironic. He went through prolonged legal grief over it with the government censors and, if I recall correctly, he died of a heart attack in a fit of frustration while directing the movie version. What did I think of it? I think violence without significant subtext is sensationalism. I'm not a total prude, though. After all, I live in southern Indiana. The part of me that laughs at dirty jokes enjoyed it.

miker

__________________________________ Yahoo! FareChase: Search multiple travel sites in one click. http://farechase.yahoo.com