Re: RARA-AVIS: Noir Manifesto

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 27 Oct 2005

Tribe wrote:

I don't think that Stansberry sees "the supernatural as a significant element" in Poe's detective fiction. The way I interpret it is that Poe sees the rational method of crime-solving as just another manifestation of the supernatural, according to Stansberry "process and logic-indeed the act of analysis itself-are ultimately viewed as further manifestations of the supernatural."

*************** I think the detective's reasoning is a significant element in the stories. Stansberry finds his logic to be a "manifestation of the supernatural." I link these two premises and come up with the supernatural as a significant part of the stories.

I didn't see any "manifestation of the supernatural" in "Murder in the Rue Morgue" or "The Death of Marie Roget".

His comment about rational thinking being close to the supernatural is conceivable, since rational thinking accepts truth outside experience, but if we're playing word games and leaning towards that definition, then the detective's logic is empirical, not rational, and I see nothing supernatural about that.

The essay employs sleight of hand more than once.

miker

__________________________________ Yahoo! FareChase: Search multiple travel sites in one click. http://farechase.yahoo.com