RARA-AVIS: Re: Thornburg's _The Lion at the Door_

From: thebradstevens ( bradstevens22@hotmail.com)
Date: 26 Oct 2005

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Jacques Debierue"
<matrxtech@y...> wrote:

> What is Thornburg's situation? A few months back somebody mentioned
health problems,
> if I recall correctly.

There's a really good interview with him here:

http://www.twbooks.co.uk/crimescene/thornburginterview.htm

It seems that he's in a retirement home, and has been unable to write since having a stroke.

I discovered CUTTER AND BONE earlier this year, and went on to read everything that Thornburg has written (something that wouldn't have been possible without the internet - only a few of his books have ever been published in the UK, and many of them have been out of print for years even in America). I regard him as among America's greatest hard-boiled writers, second only to Charles Willeford. Alex Cutter's speech (in CUTTER AND BONE) about the Mai Lai photos is one of the finest pieces of writing I've encountered in the genre. And it hasn't lost any of its relevance - everything he says can be directly applied to the Abu Ghraib photos, and the general response to them.