RARA-AVIS: Re: churn'em out like old...

From: Richard Moore ( moorich2@aol.com)
Date: 24 Oct 2005

I am pleased to hear someone else praise Avallone's HIGH NOON AT MIDNIGHT. On the several occasions in the past when I've praised it friends shake their heads and assume I am putting them on. I would not call it a "great private eye novel" because I've never thought of it as a PI novel, even though it features Avallone's Ed Noon. I do completely agree that it made "an original and profound statement." Some surface plot elements are crude, cartoonish science fiction and many readers may find that off-putting. Yet, within the novel, it is clear that Noon may well be having a psychotic episode with delusions that include Gary Cooper and alien invaders. Very odd and very powerful, I've never read anything remotely like it. As I've written before, hats off to editors Karen and Bill Palmer, the editors at Paperjacks, for having the courage to publish it. Mike was at a low point when the book came out and I have to think that his anger and at- the-edge desperation helped power this one last novel. I'm glad I told him how much I admired it and wrote a positive review published in that much missed publication Mystery and Detective Monthly. Warning to those who look for a copy. I rarely see copies and suspect the Paperjacks printings were small.

Richard Moore