RARA-AVIS: churn'em out like old...

From: George Tuttle ( noirfiction@whoever.com)
Date: 24 Oct 2005

For whatever it is worth, I miss Mike Avallone. I suspect in Mike's mind, he thought of himself as the Mel Ott of the genre. He wasn't. Still, with his book High Noon at Midnight, I thought he wrote a truly great private eye novel and made an original and profound statement about a type of fiction too often riddled with cliques and mediocrity. Mike wasn't a .300 hitter. He was more of a journeyman utility outfielder, one who always got surprised every year when he didn't make the All-Star team. Still, with that one book, I thought Mike was everything in his mind's eye, and some.

George the Librarian