RARA-AVIS: Benjamin Schutz's Mary, Mary, Shut the Door

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 18 Oct 2005

I just finished reading an ARC of the above book. It's a collection of Schutz's short stories, several of which have won well deserved awards. I'm on record for being a novel person who's not a particular fan of shorts, but I really enjoyed this anthology. I had only read two of the stories before (had bought both Deadly Allies anthologies for that very reason), two of the three featuring private eye Leo Haggarty. The third, Lost and Found, which I hadn't read, tied together some threads left hanging at the end of that lamented series of novels. Damn, I miss that series.

There are two more PI stories, both featuring Matt and Sean Ellis, who skip trace on college breaks, three forensic psychologist stories
(Schutz's professional work in this area lends these an obvious verisimilitude), two cop stories, all capped with a story of serial killers. I usually take a long while with short story collections, reading one or two at a time between novels. I plowed right through this one.

The only problem is, now I want novels featuring all of these characters so I can get to know each of them better.

Mark