Re: RARA-AVIS: A History of Violence

From: Dave Zeltserman ( davezelt@comcast.net)
Date: 10 Oct 2005

I hadn't read the graphic novel (haven't had the heart to pick up a comic book or graphic novel since under the urging of my wife I sold my comic book collection 15 years ago, which included Spiderman #4-20 in mint condition). I thought the movie was okay, not great. The confrontation with William Hurt in Philly seemed very cartoonish
(which I guess is what I should expect with this coming from a graphic novel), and the theme of violence being interwoven into families and their effect seemed very artificial to me. I would be interested in a spoiler posting or email off-line describing how this deviated from the graphic novel. All in all I left the theatre disappointed.

Now if someone wants to see an amazingly powerful, well-made movie I'd recommend Crash (not Croneberg's but the movie released earlier this year).

Dave Z.