RARA-AVIS: Re: Cyberpunk Recomendation?

From: mandy_keifetz ( mandy_keifetz@yahoo.com)
Date: 07 Oct 2005

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Michael Robison
<miker_zspider@y...> wrote:

> ************
> Hey. I haven't seen you here before, have I? I
> thought Mieville's PERDIDO STREET STATION was
> wonderful, except for the ending. It appeared to me
> that he had no idea what to do when he got there, and
> did it all wrong. I read KING RAT about a month ago.
> Pretty mediocre. I've probably read my last of
> Mieville.
>
> miker

Yeah, I couldn't get through KING RAT or SCAR myself. It may be revealing in itself that I can't remember the ending of PSS (big showdown with predatory moths and the protean drug lord and the insect love interest is reduced to a babbling bug?? Something like that??) but for sure he had a few too many balls in the air -- which we'd pro'ly forgive him for if he were Chandler (cf BIG SLEEP's unsolved dead driver) or even, you know, Darwin. But (sigh) he isn't...

MK