RARA-AVIS: William Gibson

From: Juri Nummelin ( juri.nummelin@pp.inet.fi)
Date: 06 Oct 2005

I remember Gibson's first novels being compared to the hardboiled writers, especially in regards to style. Take for example the first sentence of his first novel, NEUROMANCER: "The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel." I think this is hardboiled writing, very much influenced by Chandler. I also remember Gibson being compared to John le Carr鬠 which sounds quite accurate.

But that doesn't mean I think Gibson is good. I actually stopped reading NEUROMANCER some thirty pages before the end. I couldn't care less what happens after that. Haven't tried again.

There's at least one contact point between cyberpunk and the hardboiled men's adventure books. John Shirley wrote four or five D.B. Drumm paperbacks in his early career.

Juri http://pulpetti.blogspot.com