RARA-AVIS: Re: On Noir

From: Jacques Debierue ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 05 Oct 2005

Now that you've all figured out the definitions, let me add that the novel can be hardboiled but the film noir, and viceversa. That further confuses the issue. By the way, the Turner channel is showing a very fine collection of noir and hardboiled films with Robert Mitchum, some of which I had never seen (The Big Steal, for example). There's much material there that could have gone HB or noir depending on the director's sensibility.

This time I haven't had time to participate in the habitual Definitional Controversy, but I did read some of the posts and can confidently say that we have a working definition the same way we have working politicians...

Best, and see yawl soon.

MrT