Re: RARA-AVIS: Cyberpunk Recomendation?

From: jjnevins@ix.netcom.com
Date: 05 Oct 2005

Original Message:
----------------- From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net

> I read somewhere (I think some anthology from Mondo) that Vernon Vinge's
True Names was the true birth of cyberpunk.  Does that sound right to anyone who's read it?  Is it any good?

"True Names" is astonishingly prescient--it was written in 1980 (or was it 1981?) and predates virtually everything in first-generation cyberpunk, while also prefiguring many of the genre's later tropes. It's also a very good read.
(I wish I could be as complimentary of Vinge himself).

I wouldn't say it was the "true birth" of cyberpunk. You can find examples of proto-cyberpunk going back a few decades. Something like Sladek's Muller-Fokker Effect (1970), which is all about the personality uploading, could reasonably be counted as one of cyberpunk's births.

But I think we're getting somewhat far afield from the list's stated purpose....

jess

-------------------------------------------------------------------- mail2web - Check your email from the web at http://mail2web.com/ .

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Life without art & music? Keep the arts alive today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/FXrMlA/dnQLAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM