Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: On Noir

From: Robert Elkin ( rictusaporia@yahoo.com)
Date: 05 Oct 2005

While it may be romantic enough to emulate Nero Wolfe sitting at a fireplace feeding it sheets of the latest dictionary to escape the evolution of language, that language, nevertheless and obviously enough, does evolve. We no longer "discover" secrets to each other, it is no longer an insult to refer to a friend as a "homeboy," and no contemporary small child replies "Anon" when called to dinner by its mother and/or father. Language changes with age, because it changes with use. Some evolves, and some drops out of the meme-pool. And this is stuff EVERYBODY knows.

Nevertheless, I'm enjoying the argument, the more so because it's begun to remind me of a scene from a Nero Wolfe tale.

If this commentary is unwanted, discover it to me anon, homes.

Rob

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Life without art & music? Keep the arts alive today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/FXrMlA/dnQLAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM