Re: RARA-AVIS: Cyberpunk Recomendation?

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 05 Oct 2005

Tribe wrote:

"Another one that just came to mind is K. W. Jeter's Noir."

How is this book? The title has intrigued me. I read a few of Jeter's earlier books (Dr. Adder, Glass Hammer and was especially impressed by Farewell Horizontal), but lost track. Which are the best of his other books? Please keep in mind that, with a few writers as exceptions, I'm not much of a fan of sci-fi.

"I agree with Jess that the cyberpunk titles have little noir sensibility...if anything, they are more hard-boiled in style and feel, if that."

Not that I'm particularly well read in cyberpunk (some Gibson, some Stephenson, some Jeter and Shirley, one Cadigan), but this also makes sense to me. For instance, it's usually Chandler that's referred to when discussing cyberpunk, not Thompson or Cain. And part of the Chandler influence is certainly by way of the movie Blade Runner (far more than the PK Dick book it was based on).

I read somewhere (I think some anthology from Mondo) that Vernon Vinge's True Names was the true birth of cyberpunk. Does that sound right to anyone who's read it? Is it any good?

Mark