Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: On Noir

From: winter_writes@earthlink.net
Date: 05 Oct 2005

Thus spake Charlie Williams:

"Defitions of noir, hardboiled and whatever are like agents. We probably do need them, and they are great if we keep in mind WHY we need them, and don't let them get too powerful. But they ain't the thing itself. The thing itself is the writing, and the writing has nothing to do with agents and definitions. If arguing about defitions were cutting edge, then it would enable authors to go away and hit the keyboard with renewed focus, inspiration, or just *something*. But it doesn't. (Or if it does, I don't think it should.) That would be like saying: "Now I know what noir is, I can write a much better noir novel. OK, let's see... dark and sinister... dark and..."

Maybe I'm wrong?"

Story first. Genre is secondary. Always. Otherwise there is no point.

Jim Winter

Northcoast Shakedown http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0975857185/northcoastexi-20/104-2029551-1867167