Re: RARA-AVIS: Cyberpunk Recomendation?

From: Mark Sullivan ( mark@markworld.com)
Date: 04 Oct 2005

Dahlgren, by Samuel R Delany.

Not everyone will agree that this is, in fact, Cyberpunk. (And not everyone will agree that it was worth reading at all.) But I say it originated the genre.

I haven't read a lot of Cyberpunk, but I thought "Schrodinger's Kitten" by George Alec Effinger was extremely well crafted and left "Neuromancer" in it's dust. See also Effingers other work in the same setting including "Budayeen Nights" and "When Gravity Fails".

I read "Neuromancer" and couldn't decide if I didn't like Cyberpunk or I didn't like Gibson's writing. Then I read "Schrodinger's Kitten" (i.e. Cyberpunk but not Gibson) and "The Difference Engine" (i.e. Gibson but not Cyberpunk) and I decided it's Gibson I'm not into. I thought "The Difference Engine" was an incredible concept but the writing just got in the way for me. I thought "Schrodinger's Kitten" was so well written that I would have enjoyed it even if I didn't like science fiction of any kind.

- Mark -