RE: RARA-AVIS: Meaning of noir

From: Bruce Makous ( bruce@brucemakous.com)
Date: 03 Oct 2005

Con said:
> Albert Camus once said, "The absurd has meaning only in so far as it is not
> agreed to."--or something like that. Do you suppose this applies to noir
> also?

Con, I think this idea is very interesting with respect to noir, and has a lot of merit. If everyone, including readers, knew what to expect in noir, it might ruin the surprising irony that is one of the signatures of the genre. (This also helps justify the ongoing debate and complete disagreement that is one of the great signatures of Rara-Avis and makes this my favorite list, by far.)

Best, Bruce