Re: RARA-AVIS: Hello

From: BaxDeal@aol.com
Date: 02 Oct 2005

In a message dated 10/2/05 10:06:44 AM, clinton65@comcast.net writes:

> Another route you may want to pursue is the one that several of us,
> including myself, had as our first introduction to classic noir: the Black
> Lizard pb's that were published in the '80's.  Here is a list of their
> releases; keep in mind several of these never actually made it to
> publication (case in point: the Lansdale and Chaze books), but the
> overwhelming majority of those listed did and are readily available through
> such sites as ABE, eBay, etc..  My personal picks would include the books by
> Goodis, Marlowe, Williams, Whittington, Cain, Thompson and Willeford.  FWIW,
> Gil Brewer, who was not part of the Black Lizard lineup, is also a personal
> favorite of mine.

in addition to the afore-mentioned, Raymond Chandler, Dashiell Hammett, Ross McDonald, John D. MacDonald, Donald Hamilton and even Mickey Spillane are all pretty much the baseline of required reading. after that, try some Elmore Leonard, James Ellroy, Lawrence Block, Robert Parker, Michael Connelly, T Jefferson Parker, Robert Crais. neo-noirists Jason Starr, Vicki Hendricks and Kent Harrington get a lot of discussion here, for good reason. (and it's not because they're also participants, as is the very entertaining Terrill Lankford)
 you also can't go wrong with the very literate Ross Thomas and Walter Mosley or the prolific Donald Westlake. many consider James Crumley's The Last Good Kiss one of the finest detective novels ever written

we'll expect written book reports

John Lau