Re: RARA-AVIS: Hello

From: R. & J. Clinton ( clinton65@comcast.net)
Date: 02 Oct 2005

Another route you may want to pursue is the one that several of us, including myself, had as our first introduction to classic noir: the Black Lizard pb's that were published in the '80's. Here is a list of their releases; keep in mind several of these never actually made it to publication (case in point: the Lansdale and Chaze books), but the overwhelming majority of those listed did and are readily available through such sites as ABE, eBay, etc.. My personal picks would include the books by Goodis, Marlowe, Williams, Whittington, Cain, Thompson and Willeford. FWIW, Gil Brewer, who was not part of the Black Lizard lineup, is also a personal favorite of mine.

After Dark My Sweet (Jim Thompson) Agreement to Kill (Peter Rabe) The Alcoholics (Jim Thompson) The Baby Doll Murders (James O. Causey) Black Friday (David Goodis) Black Mass of Brother Springer (Charles Willeford) Black Lizard Anthology of Crime Fiction (Ed Gorman, ed.) Second Black Lizard Anthology (Ed Gorman, ed.) Black Wings has my Angel (Elliot Chaze) Blood Dance (Lansdale) Blood on the Dining Room Floor (Gertrude Stein) The Box (Peter Rabe) Burglar (David Goodis) Burnt Orange Heresey (Charles Willeford) Carny Kill (Robert Edmund Alter) Cassidy's Girl (David Goodis) Coffin and Co. (Roger L. Simon) Cockfighter (Charles Willeford) The Criminal (Jim Thompson) Cropper's Cabin (Jim Thompson) The Damned Don't Die (Jim Nisbet) Dead Meat (Roger L. Simon) Death Puppet (Jim Nisbet) Detour (Helen Nielsen) The Devil Wears his Wings (Harry Whittington) Dig My Grave Deep (Peter Rabe) Dr. Syntax (Michael Petracca) The Far Cry (Frederic Brown) Fast One (Paul Cain) Fires That Destroy (Harry Whittington) Frenzy (James O. Causey) Forgive Me Killer (Harry Whittington) The Getaway (Jim Thompson) Goodbye L. A. (Murray Sinclair) The Grifters (Jim Thompson) A Hell of a Woman (Jim Thompson) His Name was Death (Frederic Brown) I Wake up Screaming (Steve Fisher) Ill Wind (W. L. Heath) It's My Funeral (Peter Rabe) Jealous Woman (James M. Cain) Kill the Boss Goodbye (Peter Rabe) The Killing (Lionel White) Lethal Injection (Jim Nisbet) Low Bite (Sin Sorocco) Man on the Run (Charles Williams) Masques (Bill Pronzini) A Moment to Prey (Harry Whittington) The Name of the Game is Death (Dan Marlowe) Never Live Twice (Dan Marlowe) Nightfall (David Goodis) Night Squad (David Goodis) Nothing in her Way (Charles Williams) Nothing More than Murder (Jim Thompson) Only in L. A. (Murray Sinclair) The Out is Death (Peter Rabe) Perversity (Francis Carco) Pick-up (Charles Willeford) Pop. 1280 (Jim Thompson) Port Tropique (Barry Gifford) Recoil (Jim Thompson) The Root of his Evil (James M. Cain) Running of the Beasts (Bill Pronzini and Barry Malzberg) Savage Night (Jim Thompson) Seven Slayers (Paul Cain) Shoot the Piano Player (David Goodis) Silk Stalkings (Susan Thompson and Victoria Nichols) Sinful Woman (James M. Cain) Sing me a Murder (Helen Nielsen) The Straight Man (Kent Nelson) Street of No Return (David Goodis) Strongarm (Dan Marlowe) Swamp Sister (Robert Edmund Alter) A Swell Looking Babe (Jim Thompson) A Ticket to Hell (Harry Whittington) Tough Luck in L. A. (Murry Sinclair) The Truth of the Matter (John Lutz) Vengeance Man (Dan Marlowe) Violent Saturday (W. L. Heath) Web of Murder (Harry Whittington) Wild Town (Jim Thompson) You Play the Black and the Red Comes Up (Eric Knight)

Ron Clinton

----- Original Message ----- From: "bloozmouse" < charles_salt@hotmail.com> To: < rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Sunday, October 02, 2005 6:36 AM Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: Hello

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Life without art & music? Keep the arts alive today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/FXrMlA/dnQLAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM