RARA-AVIS: Welcome to Ed Gorman

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 02 Oct 2005

Ed Gorman wrote:

I always assumed that the phrase "existential hero" was an apt description of noir protagonists. But I recently read a piece about Sartre who, it turns out, felt that existentilism was often a philosphy of joy and liberation.

******************* An honor to have you among us, Ed. Just a couple days ago I read an article of yours called "Golden Harvest" in The Big Book of Noir. It's about the Gold Medal series. In another book, Murder Off the Rack, I enjoyed your collage on Charles Williams. Here's a quote that I especially liked from your Charles Williams article:

"Charles Williams wrote in a definitive way about used car lots, drive-up restaurants, motels, gun shops, loafing, sex with women you don't trust, inhaling cigarettes on chilly mornings, people who just look stupid, loneliness, inadequacy, fear, acceptance and dread.

He wrote a great deal about dread."

A wonderful summation of Charles Williams's writing.

miker