RARA-AVIS: SUSPECTS and Speculations

From: David L. Wilson ( dwilson@sccn.net)
Date: 01 Oct 2005

I'm still getting comfortable with the notion of discussion groups, but at least I've included a title, this time. I'm still not sure what to expect, however. I won't' be uncrossing my fingers until later in the day, if ever.

All the discussions about what noir is or isn't is valuable, I'm sure, and something I'll have to review some time in the future. It's one of those basic questions that I have a tendency to pass over, as I focus on the people in the genre and their plots.

On the other hand, the speculations on characters from the classic stories, like the characters from Maltese Falcon and Casablanca seem like great fun. Unfortunately for those among us who look at every riddle as a potential plot, the game has already been played, quite well, by the British film critic (well, film critic and many other things), David Thomson, in his 1985 leap-of-fiction, Suspects, a fun read that I would recommend to everyone. This book follows up on the histories of Brigid, Cody Jarrett, Travis Bickle, Roy Earle, Walter Neff, and many of our other favorite film characters, telling us of their stories from both before and after the curtains came down and the last pages and frames of film in their classic noir episodes.

I would stay away from gossip and the tabloids - this is the real scoop on what happened to these sometimes beloved characters. Biographies you can trust.

Regards,

David L. Wilson Downieville, CA