RARA-AVIS: Kent Harrington : Dia and cinema

From: E.Borgers ( webeurop@yahoo.fr)
Date: 27 Sep 2005

Mr. Harrington,

In your novel, "Dia...", I was stuck by a few changes of rhythm that happened by changing the type of writing, in the development of the story. On a few parts, your writing became (at least from my point of view) synthetic, close to a film synopsis type of presentation that describes the editing of certain scenes. One of these was during the catastrophe happening to the young Chinese women trying to cross the border. There was another during a fight of your central character, Calhoun, IIRC. There were others, but I could not check as I do not have the copy of your novel with me for the moment. Was it because you were really thinking about a possible future film script, or was it for another reason ?

I do not try to question or make suggestions for your writing: in a novel, the author is the boss. However, I was very surprised by these fractures in the style of writing when I read the novel. I liked very much Dia, but had some personal reservations about these fractures.

E.Borgers Hard-Boiled Mysteries http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Life without art & music? Keep the arts alive today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/FXrMlA/dnQLAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM