Re: RARA-AVIS: Bouchercon article

From: Kerry J. Schooley ( gsp.schoo@murderoutthere.com)
Date: 27 Sep 2005

At 11:39 PM 26/09/2005 +0100, you wrote:

>As for hope, well it's a key ingredient in many of Jason Starr's extremely
>noir novels. Hope can really screw you up.

The thing about hope is that people do it anyway. Can't seem to knock it out of them. Don't know whether it's cultural or hardwired, but there's old hope cropping up in all our darkest hours.

The thing is, one wonders why it is necessary. Earth is a beautiful place given the alternatives. The sun is too hot, Mars a tad dry, even the moon is pretty dicey for your average family of 4.5 people and their Chevrolet. But that doesn't stop us from hoping we can improve mother earth. There's no evidence we're up to the task, but we try and I think that's very noir.

If we're lucky, we won't kill ourselves in the process. We can always hope for that.

Best, Kerry

------------------------------------------------------ Literary events Calendar (South Ont.) http://www.lit-electric.com The evil men do lives after them http://www.murderoutthere.com