RARA-AVIS: Noir cats...

From: E.Borgers ( webeurop@yahoo.fr)
Date: 26 Sep 2005

Noir cats…

I already mentioned here, some time ago, Akif Pirinc穬 German author of Turkish ascent, and his not so typical novel about Francis the cat and his investigation in a cat world : FELIDAE. Rather hard-boiled by moments and grim, close to noir, all over the story. Not exactly Jackson Braun style… The second novel with the same cat: FELIDAE ON THE ROAD, was also translated into English, but I'm not so sure about the third one.

Also: it seems to me that a lot of authors of HB/noir keep a cat at home. I even one day started a list of these authors, but never tried to complete it. Of course you will probably find a lot of examples that does not match… We cannot forget this one: Chandler was very found of his cat Taki; when it died, he bought another one, similar in appearances, and gave it the same name: Taki. I remember also that in his "Letters" he confirmed that all his life he had cats. Do cats predispose to noir/HB ?

And if I'm not wrong, the present cat thread was developed on an ambiguity since its beginning: the remark about how we escaped, on RARA, from reports about injured cats going to the vet, was IMO aimed to these loose forums or lists where people babble ad libitum about OTs (out of topic). Fortunately on this list we stay on topics. Open, but on focus.

E.Borgers Hard-Boiled Mysteries http://www;geocities.com/Athens/6384 Polar Noir http://www.geocities.com/polarnoir

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Life without art & music? Keep the arts alive today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/FXrMlA/dnQLAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM