RARA-AVIS: Hardboiled with cats

From: Tim Wohlforth ( tim@timwohlforth.com)
Date: 25 Sep 2005

If you want a hardboiled crime novel with a cat in it try the classic Edgar Allen Poe story, "The Black Cat." Now there was one persistent feline!

A couple of years back I wrote a short story, also called "The Black Cat." A kind of pastiche on Poe. It appeared in Futrures Magazine. Below is a short excerpt:

I glanced down at the paper bag she had left on her seat. The damned sack moved. Something alive inside. My curiosity got the better of me. I leaned over the table and reached into the paper bag.

"Damn!" I cursed.

Something had bit me. Then the scraggly black head of an alley cat emerged. He - the creature's size and chewed-up ears suggested a tomcat
- stared at me. So cross-eyed the poor animal must be seeing two Jim Wolfs. Fleas hopped around on his head like jackrabbits in the Australian outback. A bald spot on his neck. Mange.

The cat's name was Edward.