RARA-AVIS: Tragic heroes and Canadians

From: Marianne Macdonald ( marianne.macdonald@lineone.net)
Date: 25 Sep 2005

The classical definition of a tragic hero (yerrr, "hero" of course) is a great man with a single tragic character flaw which leads to his destruction. I don't really see that as an unarguable description of the noir protagonist, where that balance of strength and weakness may be reversed. And of course nobody should apologize about reintroducing this argument, it's always fun and never resolved.

Oh - and cats can be as hb as you like, for crying out loud! I mean, I used to own one which killed mice by throwing them up against the sides of the bathtub until they died in bloody agony. Pure Sin City stuff.

Oh - and
> Just by being Canadian, one becomes noir?
only when unwashed. Most of the time we're just rather amused and superior, though we're too polite to let you know that. Also very hardboiled. Anybody else on the list ever skritched a tiger under the chin?

Happy Sunday!

Marianne