Re: RARA-AVIS: Over 400 rare birds -- and a thing about cats

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 23 Sep 2005

Jack wrote:

"About the cats? Any hardboiled heros with cats? Hopefully no cats that solve crimes."

Perhaps another reason purists hate it, Elliot Gould's Marlowe has a cat in Altman's adaptation of Long Goodbye. In fact, Marlowe seems downight pussywhipped. Of course, there are plenty of other noir characters who are pussywhipped, but more metaphorically, just as they are more metaphorically than literally screwed. Actually, it's pursuing a literal screwing that often leads to the metaphoric screwing.

And Bill, let me add my thanks for this platform for discussion. I won't even complain about how much this place has cost me for books.

Mark