Re: RARA-AVIS: KENT HARRINGTON- noir trio?

From: Kukana Fields ( kukanafields@yahoo.com)
Date: 10 Sep 2005

Mr. Borgers,

Thank you for the questions. I wanted to give it a little thought before I answered. It's a hard one.

"Is it a voluntary exploration of the noir variations, or is it more a

kind of way for you to avoid routine and repeats in your novels ? Or is it because of something else…"
  The short answer is that no. It's not just variations and yet it obvious is, as even my political thrillers, American Boys and Red Jungle have what people perceive as noirish elements. (Is that simply drama on a high order? I honestly don't know. Is that what noir is beginning to mean? I'd like to hear what others think?)
  I believe that my books have been a conscious and unconscious journey towards something. All my work I think is part of this journey taken in a very weird looking hand-built car!
  Dia and Dark Ride are joined at the hip in the sense that they are obviously rooted in the American noir tradition. The atmospherics are similar although there is something particularly modern about the atmospherics in Dia. Perhaps the idea that the homosexual state of mind is a now common reality of our modern world (Celeste's bi-sexuality) and that this is shown in an unflinching manner in Dia this my be "new" if you will. Or, perhaps the picture of Tijuana that seems to be the blue print for all cities now is "new". (What one economist called private opulence and public squalor.)
  So, what I'm trying to get at is the noir experiments that were Dark Ride and then Dia show some kind of progress vis-a-vis the noir tradition. American Boys and Red Jungle were different. They are in the Le Carre, Graham Greene mode and would have to be analyzed differently. By the way, I've also written a comedy!
  I've never wanted to replete myself, so that has definitely been a factor in my work. My feeling is that if I'm not deeply interested in the novel, why in god's name would anyone else be. And this brings up an important question. The matter of routine as you mention in your question. I try to avoid it at all costs in my work. Routine is easier by far, but it's no journey.

"E.Borgers" < webeurop@yahoo.fr> wrote: Mr Harrington, I'm very glad to welcome you on our list !

I've read only : DARK RIDE, DIA DE LOS MUERTOS and THE AMERICAN BOYS. I really liked them, with a personal preference for DIA.

After reading these 3 novels and seeing they are a sequence in your recent production, I had the impression (probably false) that you were exploring, at the time, some of the different paths of noir/HB:
-To me "Dark Ride" is James Cain revisited by Jim Thompson and Kent Harrington. A modernized classic noir vein… (and this is really not a negative comment)
-"Dia…" is obviously this kind of violent modern noir, close to some thrillers, that so many tried these last years (IMO rarely succeeding).
-"American Boys" being a spy-thriller novel descending into noir territory (and I must say it's done here with brio, as I'm normally not quickly impressed by spy novels and/ or thrillers)

Is it a voluntary exploration of the noir variations, or is it more a kind of way for you to avoid routine and repeats in your novels ? Or is it because of something else…

Thanks in advance for your comment.

E.Borgers HARD-BOILED MYSTERIES http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Life without art & music? Keep the arts alive today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/FXrMlA/dnQLAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM