RARA-AVIS: Dark Ride/The Payoff

From: T. Kent Morgan ( tkmorgan@shaw.ca)
Date: 09 Sep 2005

Bill Denton asked how early readers discovered Dark Ride. I suspect I was one of the very early readers as my book records show that I purchased it in April 1996 and it was published in February 1996. I don't remember what attracted me to the book; perhaps the first name of the author or the fact the main character was an ex-football player because I collect sports-related crime fiction.

I do remember asking our local independent mystery bookstore if they had ordered it. The answer was no so I ordered it sent to Canada from the Seattle Mystery Bookshop that had it listed in its newsletter. It was worth the trouble and the extra cost. Last year I sent Mr. Denton a second copy that showed up in the used section of that same Winnipeg store. So, Kent, we know that at least two people in Winnipeg bought your first book.

Changing the subject, can anyone tell me about a 1978 novel titled The Payoff by Attilio Veralidi? It's the story of a PI in Naples. I saw a HC copy yesterday in a thrift store, but didn't buy it.

T. Kent Morgan

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Life without art & music? Keep the arts alive today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/FXrMlA/dnQLAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM