RARA-AVIS: KENT HARRINGTON- noir trio?

From: E.Borgers ( webeurop@yahoo.fr)
Date: 09 Sep 2005

Mr Harrington, I'm very glad to welcome you on our list !

I've read only : DARK RIDE, DIA DE LOS MUERTOS and THE AMERICAN BOYS. I really liked them, with a personal preference for DIA.

After reading these 3 novels and seeing they are a sequence in your recent production, I had the impression (probably false) that you were exploring, at the time, some of the different paths of noir/HB:
-To me "Dark Ride" is James Cain revisited by Jim Thompson and Kent Harrington. A modernized classic noir vein… (and this is really not a negative comment)
-"Dia…" is obviously this kind of violent modern noir, close to some thrillers, that so many tried these last years (IMO rarely succeeding).
-"American Boys" being a spy-thriller novel descending into noir territory (and I must say it's done here with brio, as I'm normally not quickly impressed by spy novels and/ or thrillers)

Is it a voluntary exploration of the noir variations, or is it more a kind of way for you to avoid routine and repeats in your novels ? Or is it because of something else…

Thanks in advance for your comment.

E.Borgers HARD-BOILED MYSTERIES http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384