RARA-AVIS: Bouchercon, Dublin Noir, Plots With Guns

From: Tim Wohlforth ( tim@timwohlforth.com)
Date: 06 Sep 2005

I just got back from Bouchercon. There were sample copies of Dublin Noir displayed at the publisher's party. So it exists and will be out soon. Akashic made a big hit with Brooklyn Noir as it featured Pete Hamill and got a front page review in the NY Times Book Review. How the others will do is hard to say. San Francisco Noir looks particularly good. I also attended the Dennis Lynds memorial and it was very moving. Fantastic writer, huge heart and social conscience.

We had a great launching for the Plots With Guns anthology. Dennis McMillan had us lined up in an assembly line signing books for him. It is beautifully produced. It includes many writers you will all known like Michael Connelly, Laura Lippman. Eddie Muller, Steve Hamilton, Gary Phillips, Charlie Stella, Reed Farrel Coleman, Victor Gischler, etc. Plots was a pioneer for dark short quality fiction and made its contribution to a bit of revival of the sub-genre. This collection is a fitting tribute to Neil Smith's effort and I sense it may make its own impact now.

On Line fiction is getting a bit more respect these days. My story in the Plots anthology featured tattooed, foul-mouthed, green-haired Henrietta and paraplegic PI Tom Bateman. Plots printed four such stories. I am happy to say the last of them, "Jesus Christ Is Dead!" is receiving "Distinguished Mystery" mention in Otto Penzler's 2005 Mystery Anthology coming out at the end of this month.

Tim Wohlforth