Re: RARA-AVIS: Philosophize This ("The Morals Of Parker")

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 03 Sep 2005

Jesse Willis wrote:

His essay starts off showing examples of what appear to be amoral behavior (Parker killing innocent or relatively innocent people), then he shows some examples of what may be holes in the theory that Parker is amoral.

************** It's quite common for someone who's idea of right and wrong differs vastly from the norm to be considered amoral, and there's a good reason for this. Morals are often defined as a group concept of right and wrong. I guess we could split hairs over what's immoral and what's amoral, but if one is into the major nasty, a virtue or two might not prevent the referee from throwing the amoral flag. So be it.

If you choose to define an individual's personal idea of right and wrong as morals, then you might be getting into whether it's proper to cook up babies in the microwave or whether they should only be slow roasted in oven.

miker

____________________________________________________ Start your day with Yahoo! - make it your home page http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Life without art & music? Keep the arts alive today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/FXrMlA/dnQLAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM