RARA-AVIS: Re: Cutter and Bone

From: thebradstevens ( bradstevens22@hotmail.com)
Date: 01 Sep 2005

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Craig Larson" <CLarson@n...> wrote:

> I know I saw the movie _Cutter's Way_ many years ago, but I had to
move it to the top of my Netflix queue and compare it to the book. I have to say that, even though I know this film is well-regarded, it was a real disappointment after reading the book. So much of the story was changed, that the movie really bears little connection to the book and it was a really dissatisfying experience. The book was so much stronger, particularly that ending, that the film version pales by comparison.

Thornburg hates the film, but there are a lot of good things in it. The performances are wonderful - at one point, Dustin Hoffman was going to play Cutter, with John Heard playing Bone. The scene which introduces Cutter was invented for the film, but contains dialogue that is absolutely in the spirit of Newton Thornburg's writing.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Life without art & music? Keep the arts alive today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/FXrMlA/dnQLAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM