RARA-AVIS:

From: David L. Wilson ( dwilson@sccn.net)
Date: 27 Aug 2005

Dear Readers --

This is not the way I wanted to come in, after years of lurking, but events dictate otherwise. I've spent nearly thirty years trying to tie veteran crime writers to my tape recorders and then find a comfortable, quiet place to talk, to pull up a couple of couches and watch the clouds. I've sat down with everyone from W.R. Burnett and Jonathan Latimer to William Campbell Gault and most recently, Dennis Lynds. I was surprised last year to note that Dennis was turning 80. In so many ways he seemed a generation younger than that. I'd known Dennis for a long time before that, but only casually. Questions become redundant when you already know the answers and I didn't want to know Lynds too well before we ran the tape. t I admired him from afar, then close up, and now I miss him.

On a day when many will be thinking of Dennis Lynds I'd like to keep his voice echoing a little longer, to share a little bit of his perspective. After a lengthy, thorough interview he finished with: " There's a key to my writing. It's different from most everyone else's, and I don't quite know how to explain it. There's an awful lot of good writers who say pretty much the same thing that I do about humanity, people, the system, about who are the villains and the heros. who is a victim, and who isn't. But in general, they have a tendency to blame what's wrong with the world - call it evil, if you will, on individuals. I don't. I blame it on the system. And that's a big difference. Really a big difference."

Dennis thought that the crime novel should matter, that those who wrote them should try to make a difference in people's lives. Despite his challenges he still had an undiminished intellectual vigor and a literary elegance that lead him away from cynicism. He had a substantial list of books he wished to finish, two more Dan Fortunes and a lot of short stories. His commitment to his art kept him alive, and he filled as many pages as he was permitted. He will inspire this writer for a long, long time.

Thanks, Dennis. You belong with the Masters.

David L. Wilson Downieville, CA