RARA-AVIS: My favorites

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 24 Aug 2005

Elaine mentioned some favorites:

Ian Rankin Val McDermid Tom Bradby Daniel Silva Domenic Stansberry Dave Corbett Laura Lippman (her standalones) Michael Connelly Stephen Booth

*************** Well, I can't ring in too much on those. I've read Rankin's BLACK BOOK and a lot of Connelly. Rankin has an intensity I like but not enough gratuitious violence and sex. Connelly's latest are still good but they don't have the same impact that the early Bosch novels had for me. I tried to read the Stansberry one, CONFESSIONS, I think, but I couldn't get more than 30 pages into it. Something about that love-making scene with the tie rang false to me, and I couldn't recover.

I'm looking forward to reading something by McDermid. She's got a few out now.

You mentioned some of your favorites. I'll mention some of mine:

Charles Williams (RIVER GIRL) Charles Willeford (THE BURNT ORANGE HERESY) Joe Gores (INTERFACES) Dashiell Hammett (RED HARVEST, THE MALTESE FALCON) Raymond Chandler (THE BIG SLEEP) Dorothy Hughes (RIDE THE PINK HORSE) Flannery O'Connor (WISE BLOOD) Hemingway (THE SUN ALSO RISES) Faulkner (SANCTUARY, AS I LAY DYING) Mario Puzo (THE GODFATHER) Earl Thompson (GARDEN OF SAND) James Ellroy (THE BLACK DAHLIA) Cormac McCarthy (BLOOD MERIDIAN, CHILD OF GOD) Pinkney Benedict (DOGS OF GOD) Charles Frazier (COLD MOUNTAIN) Kent Harrington (DARK RIDE) Terrill Lankford (SHOOTERS)

If I had a particular favorite, I put it in parenthesis after their name.

Good to have you onboard, Elaine.

miker