RARA-AVIS: SHIT!

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 20 Aug 2005

I just heard that Dennis Lynds has passed away.

Man, I loved that guy. I was just going to drop him a line to check out what I did to his little state-of-the-union address he so kindly offered to my site, and to thank him for inviting me to write the intro tfor an upcoming collection of his.

The only consolation is that, somewhere in hard-boiled heaven, the Big Man is being grilled, and he won't be let off easy. That's the thing about Dennis -- some people may have not liked his politics, but he never -- ever -- offered easy, pat solutions; he just knew which questions to ask. They were frequently hard, unpleasant questions, and could make people on all sides of the divide squirm, but they were questions that needed asking, and were only rarely asked anywhere, much less in crime fiction. Dennis never offered up answers, but his writing sure demanded them.

Yeah, Dennis could -- and did -- tell a good story, be it the Three Investigators or Dan Fortune, but it was his burning hunger for justice in his best work, and his ability to flesh out ideas and the most extreme and often objectionable positions and humanize them, give them real weight, and force us to question not just them but ourselves that kept me reading.

The thing was, Dennis actually cared about people.

And he wasn't afraid to let it show. Talk about a man out of time.

I'll miss him.

And in a world where our rights are, one by one, being sacrificed in the name of God and Profit, we've all lost something by Dennis' passing. He was one of the greats.

Shit... I'll miss him.

Kevin