Re: RARA-AVIS: Literary Types, Library Cards and Biblioholism

From: Jan Long ( janlong821@earthlink.net)
Date: 25 Jul 2005

A few excerpts from what Kent wrote:

> I am another person who has used a library card almost forever, but
> that hasn't controlled my purchasing. At the beginning of 2004 I
> made a resolution that I would try to read three books of fiction
> from my collection for every book I borrowed from the library or
> purchased. For non-fiction I was trying for two for one. I never
> bothered checking the results but this thread spurred me to do so.
> Did I achieve my goals - of course not.

> The stats really don't seem too bad, but they don't include the rest
> of the books I purchased as my total for the year was 327 books.
> Yes, this means that I purchased 280 books in 2004 that I haven't
> read.

> I blame the members of Rara-Avis for part of this as I am always
> visiting thrift stores, hospital and church sales, etc., looking for
> older paperbacks by authors mentioned on the list. I'm also trying
> to complete my Brett Halliday and John D. MacDonald collections
> (Ross M., Hammett and Chandler are now complete) and find all the
> books listed in the 100 Favourite Mysteries and They Died in Vain
> books as well as Edgar and other award winners.

> But I agree, it's difficult to return those library books. Right now
> I have 20 on the reserved list

> I clearly suffer from biblioholism

At the risk of being pegged as an enabler....

Kent, if you've not already done so, may I suggest you get your hands on a book called BIBLIOHOLISM: THE LITERARY ADDICTION by Tom Raabe, originally published 1991, revised edition published 2001. This would probably be right up your alley.

Not that I'd have any personal knowledge of any of this, of course.

Jan