Re: RARA-AVIS: Re Lankford's comment & New McCarthy

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 25 Jul 2005

Chris wrote:

"This is said with a pang of guilt, but sometimes I think I am the only Avian with a library card."

I just hate having to give the books back.

"I finished this recently and am not sure what to make of it yet. I loved Blood Meridian and Child of God, though have not read Suttree. No Country for Old Men was not what I expected from McCarthy. It is a quick thriller that is certainly not bad, but not staggering like Blood Meridian."

It was reviewed in the Washington Post Book World last week. The reviewer said much the same as you, that it's worth reading, but it's a
"minor addition" to McCarthy's work. He also said there is a rumor going around that the book was initially about 600 pages, but was cut for the marketplace.

"I should add that I'm a sucker for these kinds of books from the literary types. I even liked Tough Guys Don't Dance."

Now that's an intriguing subgenre. What other books would you add to the list of thrillers/crime novels by literary types? I can think of two immediately: Squeeze Play by Paul Benjamin Auster, who drops the last name for his pseudonym, and Straight Cut by Madison Smartt (is it the "t" that's repeated or the "a," I can never remember) Bell.

Mark