Re: RARA-AVIS: Two for the Money

From: winter_writes@earthlink.net
Date: 24 Jul 2005

<<<I don't have a problem with Charles defending his publishing cred. He obviously feels secure in his decision to print Collins and I admire him for sticking his neck out in defending that decision. After all, his defense was a gamble. He couldn't know whether other list members were going to pounce on him saying they didn't like the book either or, equally likely, say they loved it or, the more likely scenario, the list would be split and a lively debate would ensue. It reminds me of the old adage, there's no such thing as
"bad" publicity.>>>

One of the consequences of reviewing, however informally, a book is the author or editor will defend themselves to said reviewer be it in private or in a public forum. I've had a couple of authors defend things I've criticized in reviews, and last I checked, we're all still friends. Similarly, I don't think Charles did anything wrong defending his decision. If anything, it provides more insight into what goes into his side of the business.

If someone wants to criticize (or praise. Always open to praise.) my work here, knock yourself out. If I disagree with you, maybe vehemently, it's not personal. It just tells people we have different tastes. I've got books by several members in my TBR stack. It's not going to stop me from reviewing them. Why should it? We're all allegedly adults (My wife says the jury's out on me.) We can take it. If something strikes too strong a nerve, it's called off-line, and we can always hash things out there.

Jim Winter

Northcoast Shakedown http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0975857185/northcoastexi-20/104-2029551-1867167