RARA-AVIS: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

From: Gratefulbear ( gratefulbear@comcast.net)
Date: 24 Jul 2005

It occurred to me as I was reading the new Harry Potter novel that these books are growing darker and darker in tone. "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" is going to traumatize a lot of kids (from what I read in the papers, it has already increased the workload of grief counselors in schools), not only with its murder of a main character at the end but also the way in which the character is murdered: in a deadly act of betrayal, at the hand of a trusted "friend." There are no neat resolutions in this one, no "life lessons" for the kiddies, no comforting reassurances that all will be well. Murder, vengeance, betrayal -- is this a children's book, or a Hard Case Crime novel? :o)

pax/shalom/salaam, Darrell http://wildfaith.blogspot.com/