RARA-AVIS: Two for the Money

From: Jeff Vorzimmer ( jvorzimmer@austin.rr.com)
Date: 23 Jul 2005

Just finished my 6th Hard Case Crime, Two for the Money (The 5th released) and I have to say, up til this one, they've all been really good. The two novels, Bait Money and Blood Money, under one cover, by Max Allan Collins were disappointing, even for a first and second novel. The plots are okay and the characters unique, but the writing is bad. Judging from the quality of the other reprints and the originals in the HCC line, I'm surprised they found these titles worthy of inclusion. Granted, it's certainly not enough to turn me off the series, but damn it was difficult getting 378 pages of Collins' writing. I'm sure his writing improved later in his career. I don't know. This is all I've read. I could give examples of specific dialogue that was so bad it made me laugh, but I don't want to dwell on the negative. Sorry, Charles, one strike.

Jeff