Re: RARA-AVIS: The Pine series

From: Monte Herridge ( mherridge@ev1.net)
Date: 19 Jul 2005

----- Original Message ----- From: Max

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Evankovich"
<briane1911a1@h...> wrote:
> The McMillan reprint that I have of "Halo in Blood" had Howard
Brown's name
> on it. That's the only once I've seen so I have no idea what the
others are
> like, but in the intro to "Blood" Brown mentioned the pen name and
gave a
> short history of how he wrote the books. --Brian

All of them have been reprinted under Browne's name, and all of them are worth reading (for the person who started the thread). In fact, everything that I've read by Browne has been excellent--I read 2 of his later works in the past year (PORK CITY & SCOTCH ON THE ROCKS). It's a shame he didn't write more, but I imagine his contribution to the genre as editor was also important.

Max

Don't miss INCREDIBLE INK, the 1997 McMillan published collection of Browne's shorter pieces. Over 500 pages, it includes stories Brown wrote for Mammoth Detective while he was editing it. Definitely worth having. Some personal memoirs of his are included from taped interviews. And another McMillan book - THE PAPER GUN, with the oartial novel and the only short Pine story "So Dark for April". According to McMillan, after this book was published Brown rewrote and extended THE PAPER GUN, but still didn't finish it.

Monte Herridge