RE: RARA-AVIS: Power of the Dog

From: Chris M ( cptpipes@hotmail.com)
Date: 18 Jul 2005

A belated thank you to Craig Larson for recommending Don Winslow's The Power of the Dog. What a terrific read. It covers three decades and a large cast of characters as well as any book I can remember. I guess in many ways this is the macro look at what The Wire studies (I presume) so well in micro.

Winslow's portrayel of the chracters reminded me quite a bit of Boyd, Littell and Bondurant from American Tabloid. You love them even as you acknowledge their flaws, less-than-ideal motivations, etc.

Highly recommended to all. I wish Winslow was getting more press for this
(though maybe I just missed some of it).