Re: RARA-AVIS: Looking for Farjeon

From: Jeff Vorzimmer ( jvorzimmer@austin.rr.com)
Date: 16 Jul 2005

> maybe somebody knows Joseph Jefferson Farjeon (London, June 4, 1883 -
Hove
> (Sussex), June
> 6, 1955) ; he was son of the better known novelist Benjamin Farjeon and
> brother of the children's writer Eleanor Farjeon and the playwright
Herbert
> Farjeon. Although he was a descendant of Thomas Jefferson, Farjeon was
named
> after his maternal grandfather, the American actor Joseph Jefferson. He
was
> educated privately and at Peterborough Lodge. From 1910 to 1920 he did
> editorial work for the Amalgamated Press.

I'm not familiar with Joseph, but I know about Eleanor. She wrote children's stories and hymns and was quite well known in England the 50s and 60s. She wrote "Morning Has Broken," a children's hymn that Cat Stevens recorded in the early 70s. Since she outlived her, apparently younger, brother by nearly ten years, you might be able to find out something about Joseph by doing research on her.

Good Luck, Jeff