Re: RARA-AVIS: recent finds

From: Karin Montin ( kmontin@sympatico.ca)
Date: 08 Jul 2005

I found 5:45 to Suburbia by Vin Packer a couple of years ago at a rummage sale. Unfortunately, it was neither hardboiled nor noir, nor even a crime novel. It was a fairly depressing look at sex, sin and survival among the surbanites, though. It did not meet my expectations of what a Vin Packer novels was going to be, based on Rara Avis talk. It does show that Marijane Meaker is a versatile writer, though.

I don't know about Baltimore Blue, but I read Sugarhouse by Laura Lippman a while back and liked it. The main character is a reporter-turned-PI. Lippman is a reporter-turned-mystery writer. She is a very funny speaker (saw her a few times in Toronto), but not as hilarious in writing.

Karin