RARA-AVIS: Google Maps API suggestion

From: William Denton ( wtd@pobox.com)
Date: 05 Jul 2005

Google Maps (http://maps.google.com/) is a great piece of work. Google has released an application programming interface (API) for it, and people can do what they want with it as long as it's for non-commercial purposes.

One possible use for it is to set up a map of San Francisco and overlay it with notes and markers showing where events happened in the stories of Dashiell Hammett, Joe Gores, and others. Hammett's "Fly Paper" has a great chase scene around Frisco and he gives all the street names. I have a Dell mapback Op anthology containing the story and the map illustrates that story. I don't know if Joe Gores' DKA novels always real street names, but there must be lots of actual locations given.

The same thing could be done with New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, and other cities. Mapping fictional events (and related real ones, such as where Hammett lived) could make interesting resources for tourists.

Bill

--
William Denton : Toronto, Canada : www.miskatonic.org : www.frbr.org