Re: RARA-AVIS: RE: Street Lit

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 30 Jun 2005

Steven,

Re your comment below:

> It seems that I've read somewhere that Hines'
> fictional Harlem had much more in common with the
> Cleveland that he had experience with than the real
> Harlem. Can't remeber where I read that at the
> moment though.

Himes appears as a character in Max Allan Collins's MURDER BY THE NUMBERS, a fictional depiction of Eliot Ness's investigation of the numbers racket when he was Cleveland's police chief.

In an afterward talking about research sources for the novel, Al offered the opinion that Himes's often geographically incorrect "Harlem" was really Cleveland's "Roaring Third Precinct," where Himes had, in fact, spent much more time.

If you read that novel, that may have been where you heard the "Cleveland/Harlem" theory.

JIM DOHERTY

____________________________________________________ Yahoo! Sports Rekindle the Rivalries. Sign up for Fantasy Football http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com