RARA-AVIS: RE: Street Lit

From: Graham Powell ( bleekerbooks@hotmail.com)
Date: 30 Jun 2005

>>Those factors seem to be the spur to increasing wave of "street lit"
>>authors.

I don't think "street lit" is really a new phenomenon. Just the other day I was reading the entries for Donald Goines and "Iceberg Slim" in Lee Server's excellent ENCYCLOPEDIA OF PULP FICTION WRITERS, and both those writers were active beginning in the late sixties. You could probably throw Chester Himes in there as well.

I suppose that you could argue that these books were the equivalent of the paperback originals of the 1950s that documented the experiences of the white working-class world.

Graham